Tuesday, August 23, 2005

August 23rd 2005

Running
Well the City to Surf has come and gone for another year. It was a beautiful day . I was just a few seconds off my target time of sub 50 mins. I have to be honest as about a month ago I did not think I would get anywhere near that time but luckily I started to click just in time. I ended up with 50.05 and probably would have got the time if I did not have to stop for my shoelace coming undone at the top of the hill. I thought I came out on a points decision over the course . A few people overtook me from just over 5k onwards but I didn't lose that many places. I have recovered quite well and broke 21mins for the 6.15k course at Queens Park. The last was 6.45 . It was quite surprising as conditions were not the best but I felt good warming up and a faster than usual start I felt pretty strong. I have been trying to get under 21mins for 3 years so it is satisfying. Running ok at the moment I want to do the Harbour Bridge 9k in a few weeks time. Unfortunately Tiff has had a few niggles and I have been training mostly by myself.I might do the 5k challenge this weekend time permitting.Amy probably won't get home from work till about 1130pm the night before so she might not appreciate me sneeking off early in the morning. All depends how the little man sleeping is going.

Life
I think I have a bit to learn about parenting just when you think you are making progress . One step backwards. Amy has been working a lot lately and I have been putting Kieran to bed as mum is not home. Try as I might I can't get him to sleep and after 30 mins of crying I end up taking Kieran into bed to me and he sleeps straight away then. Just when you think you have mastered sleeping in the cot it is back to the old ways.
The car has been giving me grief again. The water pump is gone and is leaking petrol and rego is due. I did not have the car on the weekend which was a body blow as I was going to meet some mates at the footy and could not go. Kieran and I had to take the taxi home on Friday night as car was leaking water and coolant in the car park so I took the car to the garage. Kieran thought the trip home in the taxi was great fun.
Amy has a rare weekend off this weekend coming so this is a rare bonus. After a double shift on both days last weekend it will be good to have some time together.
I have been taking Kieran down to Queens Park on Saturday mornings to watch the little kids play soccer. He just sits in my lap and watches enthralled . We then go into the playground where he chases birds and goes on the swing. It is a routine he seems to enjoy. At night he kicks balls and balloons around the house so he is putting into practice what he sees.
I was not a happy camper after St Kilda lost to Freeo on Friday night. Amy could tell I was filthy and made comments like it is only a game. Why do people care so much about the result of a sporting event? I guess it is in your blood and it is good to be passionate about things occassionaly.I guess with most of my sporting teams they are underdogs and get the feeling that you always have to work so hard to achieve a result . Sometimes I wish I didn't care but hey that wouldn't be me. I guess if you look at the big picture it is just an interest.
That is enough from me till next time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a clever little boy your Kieran is! Knows his dad has a soft heart, I think! Pleased that you enjoyed C2S; it certainly was a great day!

9:47 PM  
Blogger michael donnelly said...

Hi Lucky Legs,
Thanks for the email & I hope your preparations for Sydney Marathon Festival is going well. Good run in the City to Surf. I liked Action's comment to you about the City to Surf. Did you enjoy it ? Sometimes we lose track of that .

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

That was a good City to Surf Michael. Keep the posts coming. They're worth waiting for. I hope Tiff is back running injury free soon.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home