Friday, June 30, 2006

June 30,2006

Running
After 12 weeks running this will be the first week back that I would have run 6 days in a week. I have had a few niggles with sciatic twinge in right hamstring and right shin. Somehow I seem to be avoiding injury through plenty of stretching and icing. My achilles feels fine now thanks to the physio and some exercises that I perform every night to keep the problem from reoccurring.
I have been trying the Billet program with a few of my own modifications. It involves doing long reps and one session is 2x4k with 5mins recovery. So mentally it is quite taxing doing the session by yourself. Mind you the sessions that I have done haven't been that great but I have been encouraged by the tempo runs I have done on Saturday mornings with Sean Williams squad at Queens Park. I did a 14.38 4k the first week off 4 days a week training,22.27 for 6k the 2nd week this wasn't that good but had a cold,14.26 4k by myself and then 21.45 so have been improving. When I was fit last year did 20.48 for 6k for 35min 10k shape.Just have to keep the body in one piece for improvement to continue. I have been doing all my running early morning by myself with the exception of Wednesday's when I usually hook up with people in the park. So I must say the running has been encouraging. City to Surf is out as will be explained in the life section.

Life
Well you never know what is around the corner. My job got made redundant after 16 years at SBS. I was not expecting it the guy behind left 5 weeks before but have to admit I didn't see it coming although the morning of the deed I got bad vibes. Then I got the news when I got back from lunch. I decided to leave the next day Tuesday June 6 Kieran's birthday as no use hanging around and financially it was smarter. So after 16 years I'm out of work. It is hard leaving the place as I felt very comfortable there and their are of nic people there. It is definitely going to take me out of my comfort zone as I always find it difficult starting again as it takes me a while to feel comfortable with people. The saddest thing about it was that we had to take Kieran out of daycare at SBS which he loved and have to look elsewhere.
We have decided to go on a 2 month holiday to USA to see Amy's familyleaving August 2 so no City to Surf . Probably would have been a tough assingment anyway on a smaller mileage. I have had assurance from Amy that we will bring Kieran up in Sydney which is reassuring. Initially Amy was thinking f a 12 month stayover.A big plus is that one of Amy's sister Susan has just moved to Orlando . So Disneyworld, Universal Studios & Space Center are all nearby. I also have a friend in Jacksonville who I have not seen in 10 years so it will be good to catch up with him. Already Amy's dad putting the hard word about moving to the States but will resist. We might be also spending a few days in North Carolina with Amy's sister Nancy . So with brothers and sisters throughout the country we will be doing a lot of travelling. I hope do afew road races over 5/10k when we are there.
We have another sewerage problem which will run in the vincinity of $8000 to fix & need a new set of stairs as they had to be dug up. That redundancy money will come in handy.
Amy's dog Rory had a leg taken off due to a tumor . Amy being a vet knew it had to be done still it did not make it any easier. He was pretty miserable the first week but is coping so much better now. Going for his nightly walks and spirits are greatly improved.
My sporting teams have been doing ok . The Red Sox are on fire 12 wins on the trot and have a 4 gwme gap into the Yankees. I really hope I can see a game when we go to the US. St Kilda have not lived up to expectations but saved their best for the win against the Swans on my birthday. I didn't go the match due to a cold. Newtown Jets are coming 2nd and have even started to get some results away from home. Gordon Rugby have been awful but have 2 quality wins v Warringah and Randwick who got revenge in a big way last week. Aussies were great in the World Cup and can feel a little hard done by. Lucas Neill conducted himself with class despite his disappointment.
I have been busy doing courses at Hudson a recruitment agency about interview techniques. I am so out of practice and also will see a Records Management recruiter next week. I probaly won't be starting work again till October when we get back from our trip and hoping a childcare arrangement pops up for Kieran.
Just trying to keep positive at least the running is going in the right direction.
Till next time.

2 Comments:

Blogger michael donnelly said...

Hi Plu,

Thanks for the email. Yes life ia ab it out of sorts at the moment . Would like to get back into a routine again asap after our holiday.
Have a question for you . I'm just curios as to what school you went to ? As saw that photo on our site & got me wondering.
Hope life is treating you & the family kindly.

Mick

1:46 PM  
Blogger Ewen said...

Hi Michael - it's been a while since I've caught up with your blog. I'm glad the running is coming back.

That's sad about the job. I hope everything is going well in the States.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home