Monday, May 08, 2006

May 8,2006

Running

Long time no posting . So here I go. I have been back 6 weeks from Achilles tendon injury. Physio Brent said that I had partial rupture of my right achilies. It has taken aproximately 20 weeks to get it right. 10 weeks of trying to run thru the injury and 10 weeks of physio. The swelling has finally started to subside. I was given some calf strengthening exercises and told to skip which I am still doing. Interesting because I could not even skip before this injury. I was that uncordinated but I have perservered.
I started back running 5 minutes then rest 5 minutes rest and jog again. I was very unfit despite going to the gym each day and swimming 3 times a week. Just goes to show their is nothing like running for runnning fitness. I have built up to 40minute runs 4 times a week and been handling that OK. I am not sure if I will if I will do much more than that and get back into the racing. At the moment I am just glad to be injury free and running again. I still get a little competitive and look at my watch and try and improve my times on my runs. The first time I ran around Centennial Park fence two times was a shock to the system around 34 and half minutes but now clocking under 33 mins and running a bit extra to make up 6 miles. I am still swimming 3 times a week 1500m in around 33minutes and do 2 weights sessions and one circuit session. I put on 2 kgs when injured so can't complain . I guess the running burns more calories. I will see how I go in the next couple of weeks to see if I start increasing and doing some speedwork with some short intervals and tempo runs. I got be honest and say I did not miss the racing but missed getting outside and having a run. I like the routine and time to myself. Having said about not missing the racing I hope to do a marathon next year in celebration of turning 50 and do the City to Surf but at the moment just happy to be running again and doing the occassional run with people.

Life
Been pretty looking after Kieran as Amy took on some extra shifts at Miranda and was working nearly every day for about 5 weeks. God she is super human and has even been able to do a few runs at the gym. So I took a few days off work when we couldn't get Kieran into childcare. Kieran is getting pretty headstrong and it does become a battle of wills to get him to do what you want.Amy now has 2 days off work a week so feel like the pressure has been realised somewhat and feel that we appreciate each other a little more. I have had so much time with Kieran that he is going through that separation anxiety thing all over again at childcare and then when I go to pick him up he doesn't want to go home. I think I should be stricter with him and I'm either too lenient with him or lose my cool. I have to find middle ground. Once he is out doing things he really enjoys himself but it is getting him moving is hard work. Part of the problem is that he barely gets to spend anytime at home with both myself and Amy and is always on the go. Hopefully these things will reslove themselves. We have enrolled in a parenting classes on Monday evenings so this can only help me develop as a parent.
We have had a couple of redundancies at work to a couple of guys that I was quite friendly with .So it really makes you look over your shoulder and I am sorry to see these guys go.
Apart from that watching plent of footy now the season is upon us. I have seen all Newtown's home games with Kieran which he enjoys and somehow manged to tape all St.Kilda's agames and watch them although they are not travelling to well. Been busy with my fantasy teams. I didn't go to Melbourne for the Commonwealth Games but managed to catch most of it on TV.
We have had bad news with neighbours close to us passing away within 3 weeks of each other. We went to the funeral last week and it was quite sad.Looks like one of our dogs Rory might be losing a leg because of a tumour. So it has been a bit gloomy lately.
Luckily you get a story like the miners being rescued in Beaconsfiled to lift the spirits.
I better get going got to go pick up the boy. I hope to post more regularly now that I'm back running again. See ya.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

Great to hear you're back running again Michael. I hope you race well again but 'getting outside and having a run' is the best part.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Stu Mac said...

Great to see you back running and blogging Michael. With your experience I am sure the come back will be very measured and controlled and I suspect some racing will be included, but when, only you will know that for sure.

All the best


Stu

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home